Too Cool for Internet Explorer
Saturday, April 3, 2010
IS Forum
In my second IS lesson, I learnt about forums. Forums allow visitors to the website to virtually sit next to each other like in an online conference, expressing and seeing differing views and opinions on a diverse range of subjects. Forums make the website appear inviting and interactive, although they open the website up to hackers, spammers and predators. The information that the visitors offer can be beneficial to all who participate in the forums. Good forums can weave a strong community around them.

In this lesson, we immerse ourselves in discussing the social impact of new media technologies, ethical issues on media usage and intellectual property and the differences between a blog and a website, by penning down our opinions and responses in the IS forum. Through the forum, we read the responses of our fellow classmates and have a deeper understanding on the topics about Web New Media ourselves.

My topic for the forum is "Decide blog or website?". While I personally prefer a blog, a few of my classmates prefer a website and Jeryl Seow agrees that blogs are "just meant to be online journals and nothing more". The majority of my classmates prefer blogs. Both blogs and websites have their pros and cons. As I posted that one of the cons of blogs is that "it is difficult to customise and change the design of blogs". However, Zane Chee disagrees, proving that "before you even click it, your template is fairly easy to alter." I hereby acknowledge and apologise for my mistake.

I commented on a forum topic "Intellectual Property - Is copy right?". I think that copying may not always be wrong. Inventions that are patented should be used to save lives, not make profits. Although the majority of the class expressed that copying is definitely wrong, my classmate, Zane Chee said that "copying , in some cases, is right. In fact, there are some people who want others to copy their work e.g http://www.freeimages.co.uk/". I think that is quite an interesting and intriguing post.


5:58 AM By Wong Wei Cong